Toyota Urban Cruiser will be more than just a rebadged Vitara Brezza as it will get couple of interior, exterior updates while retaining the same engine option.
Unlike the Toyota Glanza which we just a rebadged version of Baleno with Toyota logo, this won’t be the case for Toyota Urban Cruiser.
Toyota will do certain tweaks to the front grille, bumpers, headlamps, tail lamps as well as alloy wheel design to distinguish it from Maruti Vitara Brezza.
Apart from this, Toyota logo will obviously will replacing the Maruti logo all around. But the updates would be minimum to keep the cost in check.
Toyota Urban Cruiser will have different names for the colour schemes on offer and will be available in one or more extra colour schemes compared to the SUV it is based on.
Maruti Vitara Brezza features all black interior theme while for Urban Cruiser, Toyota is likely to opt for dual tone black and beige interior theme. Seat material as well as door trims could be bit changed as well.
The interior fit and finish quality as well as dashboard design will be exactly similar to Maruti Vitara Brezza. There won’t be any such changes in this department.
|Toyota Urban Cruiser||Maruti Vitara Brezza|
|Length||3995 mm||3995 mm|
|Width||1790 mm||1790 mm|
|Height||1640 mm||1640 mm|
|Wheelbase||2500 mm||2500 mm|
|Boot space||328 L||328 L|
|Ground clearance||198 mm||198 mm|
|Turning radius||5.2 m||5.2 m|
|Fuel tank capacity||48 L||48 L|
|Tyre Size||205 / 60 R16||205 / 60 R16|
|Gross vehicle weight||1600 kg||1600 kg|
In terms of dimensions, the length is 3995 mm, width is 1790 mm, height is 1640 while wheelbase is 2500 mm. Total boot space is 328 litre, fuel tank capacity is 48 litre while the ground clearance is 198 mm.
Again the spec sheet remains same as that of Vitara Brezza since no mechanical or sheet metal changes have been made.
|Urban Cruiser Non Smart Hybrid||Urban Cruiser SHVS|
|Displacement||1462 cc||1462 cc|
|Engine||1.5 L K15B 4 Cylinder Petrol||1.5 L K15B SHVS Mild Hybrid 4 Cylinder Petrol|
|Power||103 BHP @ 6000 RPM||103 BHP @ 6000 RPM|
|Torque||138 NM @ 4400 RPM||138 NM @ 4400 RPM|
|Transmission||5 Speed MT||5 Speed MT / 4 Speed AT|
|Fuel Efficiency||17.03 kmpl||20.5 kmpl / 18.76 kmpl|
Like the Glanza, Toyota Urban Cruiser will offer manual transmission option in non smart hybrid as well as smart hybrid SHVS options.
- Toyota Urban Cruiser will be powered by 1.5 L petrol engine with 5 speed manual gearbox (Which is also available in Vitara Brezza) with claimed fuel efficiency of 17.03 kmpl.
- Another engine on offer will be the mild hybrid petrol powertrain with same output figures as that of non hybrid petrol but will be available with both the gearbox options and due to hybrid technology will be more fuel efficient as well.
How the Engine / Fuel Economy of Toyota Urban Cruiser & Maruti Vitara Brezza different?
- Urban Cruiser and Vitara Brezza both are available with ‘non smart hybrid’ engine for its 5 speed manual gearbox and both of them also offered ‘smart hybrid technology’ with its 4 speed automatic gearbox.
- This was the similarity. Now the difference comes where the Urban Cruiser comes with ’SHVS’ even for its manual transmission options which the Vitara Brezza misses out on.
- The main advantage of SHVS in manual gearbox for Urban Cruiser will better fuel efficiency rated at 20.5 kmpl as compared to 17.03 kmpl of Vitara Brezza 5 speed manual.
Features & Safety Equipment
There won’t be any changes in the feature list between the two SUVs. They will provide the same equipments.
Toyota Urban Cruiser G / G Smart Hybrid / G AT
- Exterior – LED tail lamps, LED Projector Headlamps, Roof rails,
- Interior – Chrome inside door handles, illuminated glovebox, fabric seat upholstery
- Comfort – Push start button with keyless entry, automatic ac, 60:40 Split rear seat, Height adjustment for driver seat, steering mounted controls, cruise control, rear wiper & washer, rear armrest, sunglass holder
- Infotainment System – 7” Infotainment System with Apple Carplay, Android Auto, Mirror Link, voice commands, bluetooth, AUX, UXB
- Safety – 2 Airbags, Front seatbelts with pretensioner and load limiter, ISOFIX child seat anchorages, Hill start assist (AT only), rear parking sensors
Toyota Urban Cruiser V / V Smart Hybrid / V AT
- Exterior – LED front fog lamps,
- Interior – leather wrapped steering wheel
- Comfort – Auto folding wing mirrors, front armrest
- Infotainment system – 4 speakers + 2 front tweeters
- Safety – automatic headlamps and lead me to home headlamps, auto dimming IRVM, rain sensing wipers, reverse parking camera, height adjustable front seatbelts
Like Toyota Glanza offers better warranty package than Maruti Baleno, similarly the Toyota’s Urban Cruiser will offer a longer warranty option than the Brezza SUV. As compared to Vitara Brezza’s 2 years and 40,000 kms warranty, Toyota’s SUV will come with standard 3 years and upto 1,00,000 kms of warranty.
Toyota Urban Cruiser will share the platform as well as body structure with Maruti Vitara Brezza. The TECT body structure on which both these SUVs are underpinned have resulted in 4 stars in global NCAP conducted couple of years back.
Now you must be wondering why Toyota cant have different platform or may be alter it for their SUV? Because is would elevate up the cost and the difference between the pricing of these two cousin SUVs would increase and it would result in poor sales for the upcoming SUV.
Variants & Price
Toyota Urban Cruiser variants will be based on Vitara Brezza trims however with a different nomenclature which we also have seen in the case of Glanza and Baleno. Urban Cruiser variants will be based on the top two trims of Brezza which includes ZXI and ZXI+. It won’t have any trims based on the lower variants of Brezza with less features.Here is the expected prices of all the variants of Toyota Urban Cruiser and its comparison with Vitara Brezza (Ex Showroom).
|Variants||Toyota Urban Cruiser||Variants||Maruti Vitara Brezza|
|–||–||VXI AT||Rs. 9,75,000|
|G||Rs. 9,18,000||ZXI||Rs. 9,10,000|
|G DualJet Smart Hybrid||Rs. 9,73,000||–||–|
|G AT||Rs. 10,58,000||ZXI AT||Rs. 10,50,000|
|V||Rs. 9,83,000||ZXI+||Rs. 9,75,000|
|V DualJet Smart Hybrid||Rs. 10,38,000||–||–|
|V AT||Rs. 11,23,000||ZXI+ AT||Rs. 11,15,000|
As compared to Vitara Brezza, Urban Cruiser will be a slightly premium offering while the mild hybrid variants with better fuel efficiency will cost even higher than the standard non-hybrid trims.
Toyota Urban Cruiser was earlier scheduled to be launched in the Indian market in August 2020 but due to coronavirus pandemic, the launch has been pushed to November 2020 and Maruti Suzuki India Limited has already begun supplying the Vitara Brezza SUV to Toyota India.
Why to Buy Toyota Urban Cruiser over Maruti Vitara Brezza?
- Variety of Engine Options – Urban Cruiser comes with mild hybrid option for manual and automatic and non hybrid for manual as well which gives a wide variety of choices to customers if they want better fuel economy, they can opt for the mild hybrid trims otherwise go for regular trims while the Vitara Brezza comes with 1 non hybrid (5 Speed Manual) variant and 1 mild hybrid variant (4 Speed AT)
- Better Warranty – As compared to the 2 years and 40,000 kms warranty package of Vitara Brezza, Toyota will provide Urban Cruiser will longer warranty duration than the Maruti SUV at 3 years and upto 1 L kilometres.
Why to Buy Maruti Vitara Brezza over Toyota Urban Cruiser?
- Competitive Pricing – Like the Glanza, Urban Cruiser by Toyota India will be a slight pricier than the Maruti compact SUV and also the mild hybrid manual variants gets a premium price tag while all the variants of the Vitara Brezza undercuts the former.
- Wide Service Network – Maruti Suzuki India Limited has a wide service network and is much bigger when put in comparison with that’s of Toyota which is again a big plus point if you are confused between the two SUVs.
The mantainence as well as service cost of both the SUVs will be exactly similar as they share the same engine and gearbox options.