Mercedes Benz India has launched a bigger petrol and Diesel engine variant in India
- New variants includes 450 and 400d
- Top model, Hip hop Edition has been removed from the range
Mercedes Benz launched the facelift of GLE SUV in India on January 29, 2020 and at the time of the launch, bigger and powerful powertrains were proposed to be introduced and now they have been finally launched in India.
Earlier available only in 300d and 400d Hip Hop Edition, the total number of trims has jumped from 2 to 4 with these two new variants.Mercedes GLE 450 gets price tag of Rs. 88.8 L while 400d costs Rs. 89.90 L (Prices, Ex Showroom).
400d is completely knocked unit while the high pricing of GLE 450 is due to extra import duties as its brought via CBU track.
2020 Mercedes GLE Variants & Price
Mercedes GLE comes in 1 petrol and 3 diesel variants – 450 and 300d, 400d, 400d Hip Hop Edition.300 d is the base model of the luxury SUV while the 400 d sits at the top of the lineup. 400d Hip Hop Edition has been discontinued and removed from Mercedes India official website. Here is the complete price list of Mercedes GLE:
|Mercedes Benz GLE||Prices (Ex Showroom, India)|
|300 d||Rs. 73.70 L|
|450||Rs. 88.80 L|
|400 d||Rs. 89.90 L|
|400 d Hip Hop Edition||Rs. 1.25 Cr|
The reasons why 400d is 36 Lakh cheaper than 400 d Hip Hop Edition is being the fact that the former is locally assembled in India while the latter is brought as completely built unit.
2020 Mercedes GLE Dimensions
Mercedes GLE measures 4.9 m in length, is 2.2 m wide and 1.77 m tall.Wheelbase is 2.99 m while ground clearance is 200 mm.
|Boot space||825 L|
|Ground clearance||200 mm|
|Turning radius||5.9 m|
|Fuel tank capacity||93 L|
|Gross Vehicle Weight||2910 kg (300d), 3000 kg (450), 3070 kg (400d)|
Mercedes GLE 300d
GLE 300 d is the base variant of SUV powered 2.0 L Diesel engine with power and torque figures of 241 BHP and 500 NM.It gets mated to 9G Tronic automatic gearbox and can sprint from 0-100 kmph in just 7.2 seconds.
Mercedes GLE 300d 4MATIC LWB Engine Specs
|Engine||2.0 L 4 Cylinder diesel|
|Power||241 BHP @ 4200 RPM|
|Torque||500 NM @ 1600 RPM|
|Transmission||9 Speed AT|
|0-100 kmph||7.2 seconds|
|Top Speed||225 kmph|
GLE 300d Features
- Exterior – LED high performance headlamps, LED DRLs, LED tail lamps, rear spoiler, 19-inch 10 spoke light alloy wheels
- Interior – panoramic sunroof, 64 colour ambient lighting, leather seats and steering wheel, 12.3 inch digital; instrument cluster
- Comfort – 4 zone auto ac, powered, heated and ventilated front seats, wireless charging, electric roller blind for rear door windows, hand free tailgate, wireless charging, push start button with keyless entry
- Infotainment System -12.3 inch infotainment system with navigation, voice recognition, android auto, apple CarPlay
- Safety – TPMS, Reverse Parking camera, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming IRVM, 7 airbags
Mercedes GLE 450 & 400d difference?
Both these are new variants and comes loaded with same features only difference comes in engine and its specifications.
GLE 450 is powered by 3.0 L 6 cylinder petrol engine with 48V mild hybrid system with 362 BHP of power and 500 NM of peak torque. It gets paired to 9G ironic gearbox with top speed of 250 kmph.
While the GLE 400d gets the same engine as that of Hip Hop Edition with output of 326 BHP and 700 NM. Top Speed is 245 kmph. The gearbox unit is 9 speed torque converter automatic.
|GLE 450||GLE 400d|
|Engine||3.0 L V6 Petrol with 48V Mild Hybrid Technology||3.0 L V6 Diesel|
|Capacity||2999 cc||2925 cc|
|Power||362 BHP @ 5500 – 6100 RPM||326 BHP @ 3600 – 4200 RPM|
|Torque||500 NM @ 1600 – 4500 RPM||700 NM @ 1200 – 3200 RPM|
|Transmission||9 Speed AT||9 Speed AT|
|0-100 kmph||5.7 seconds||5.7 seconds|
|Top Speed||250 kmph||245 kmph|
What are the features GLE 450 and 400d offer?
Over the base 300d variant, the new trims introduced by Mercedes Benz India gets equipments including:
- Exterior – Multibeam LED with range upto 150 m, adaptive high beam assist plus, 20-inch 5-twin spoke light alloy wheels
- Comfort – Memory function for front seats, steering wheel and ORVMs, electrically adjustable rear seats, hands free parking, Connected car Technology
- Infotainment – MBUX Interior assistant
- Suspension – AIRMATIC package with damping
- Safety – 360 degree camera
What features of Hip hop Edition are not available in GLE 400d and 450?
While the new variants are quite feature rich, there are still are a number of features that have gone with the discontinuation of Hip Hop Edition which includes;
- Mercedes E-active Body Control Suspension
- 590 W 13 speaker Burmester sound system
- Heads up display
- 9 airbags
Mercedes GLE Interior Colours / Upholstery
Colour schemes and upholstery option for the GLE includes:
- ARTICO man-made leather black
- ARTICO man-made leather macchiato beige
- Brown open-pore walnut wood trim (Available with GLE 300d 4MATIC LWB)
- Anthracite open-pore oak wood trim elements (Available with GLE 400d 4MATIC LWB and GLE 450 4MATIC LWB)
Mercedes GLE Colour Options
There are a total of 6 exterior colour schemes for Mercedes Benz GLE which includes
- Non-Metallic – Polar White
- Metallic – Cavansite Blue
- Metallic – Selenite Grey
- Metallic – Mojave Silver
- Metallic – Obsidian Black
- designo – Hyacinth Red metallic
Which SUVs competes with Mercedes GLE?
Mercedes Benz GLE takes on the likes of premium offering including Audi Q7, BMW X5, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Discovery and Volvo XC90.
How does the price of Mercedes GLE compare with rivals
|Cars||Price (Ex Showroom)|
|Mercedes Benz GLE||73.7 L – 89.9 L|
|BMW X5||82.9 L – 84.4 L|
|Range Rover Sport||87.02 L – 1.01 Cr|
|Range Rover Discovery||75.6 L – 88 L|
|Volvo XC90||80.9 L – 1.31 Cr|
With the introduction of two new variants, the customers will now have a better choice. Also, GLE which came with only diesel mills till now has finally got a petrol engine as well.