Honda City has the segment king but only sedan that has challenged the crown of the City comes from Maruti in the form of Ciaz. Here is a detailed comparison of Honda City and Maruti Ciaz
Honda City 2020 vs Maruti Ciaz Dimensions Comparison – Which one is bigger?
Honda City measures 4,459 mm long, 1,748 mm wide, 1,489 tall with a wheelbase of 2,600 mm. Maruti Ciaz has dimensions of (Length x Width x Height x Wheelbase) 4,490 mm, 1,730 mm, 1,485 mm and 2,650 mm.
|Dimensions||New Honda City||Maruti Ciaz|
|Length||4549 mm||4490 mm|
|Width||1748 mm||1730 mm|
|Height||1489 mm||1485 mm|
|Wheelbase||2600 mm||2650 mm|
|Ground Clearance||165 mm||170 mm|
|Turning Radius||5.4 m||5.4 m|
|Boot Space||506 L||510 L|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||40 L||43 L|
|Wheel Size||185 / 55 R16||195 / 55 R16|
- Honda City is 59 mm longer than Maruti Ciaz.
- Also City is 18 mm wider as compared to Maruti Ciaz.
- In terms of height, the difference is just 4 mm with City being the better.
- Wheelbase of Maruti Ciaz is 50 mm more than City.
- Also, ground clearance of Ciaz is 5 mm more than Honda City.
- Turning circle of Honda City and Maruti Ciaz is 5.4 m.
- Boot space of New City is 4-litres less than that of Ciaz.
- Fuel Tank capacity of Ciaz is 3 litres bigger than City.
- Wheel size is 16-inches with Ciaz having slightly bigger dimensions.
With its dimensions, it is pretty clear that Honda City has more space to offer inside the cabin thanks to better length, width as well as height.
Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz Exterior Comparison – Which looks more premium?
The Japanese sedan has a better road presence. It has got those stunning LED headlamps with DRLs. Chrome front bar meets both the units. Wheel design comes from City RS 1.0 while sharp character lines flows from the headlamps till the tail lights.
Attention to detailing is great. At the rear it features Z-shaped LED headlamps and the design of these lights is completely new as well. From the rear profile, it has more of a sophisticated look.
Maruti Ciaz makes use of lot of chrome whether it is on the door handles, fog lamp or the front grille surrounds. Ciaz features LED projector headlamps and halogen fog lamps. The black studded grille looks neat.
Those multi spoke 16-inch alloy syncs well with the design. The tail lamps has a great appeal with the LED element and here also chrome can be seen on the bar connecting the tail lamps as well as surrounds of the reflectors.
Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz Interior Comparison – Which provides better cabin experience?
The interiors of Honda City has always been notch above and same is the scenario with the new generation of the sedan. It features dual tone theme and a 8-inch dash integrated infotainment system which gets long AC vents surrounds.
Steering wheel of Honda City looks sporty and instrument panel is new as the case with climate control system which has now button operation. Multiple storage spaces and charging ports adds to the convenience.
Maruti Ciaz features dual tone theme with 7-inch infotainment system. Steering wheel is similar to pre facelift of the Maruti cars. AC vents are placed above the infotainment system while the instrument panel houses a big MID in centre.
As compared to Honda City, Maruti Ciaz cabin lags behind in terms of premium ness and surely requires a update to be in a better position to compete with the rivals.
Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz Engine Options Comparison
Honda City is available with one petrol and one Diesel engine while the Maruti Ciaz is now a petrol only offering.
|Powertrains||Honda City||Maruti Ciaz|
|Petrol||1.5 L||1.5 L|
Honda City 1.5 Petrol vs Hyundai Verna 1.5 Petrol – Which Engine is more Powerful / Efficient?
Honda City is powered by 1197 cc 1.5-litre I-VTEC petrol engine with 119 BHP and 145 NM of torque. Transmission options includes 6 Speed MT and 7 Speed DCT with claimed fuel efficiency of 17.8 kmpl and 18.4 kmpl respectively.
Maruti Ciaz gets K15 Smart Hybrid petrol engine with option of 5 Speed manual and 4 speed torque converter with claimed mileage of 20.65 kmpl and 20.04 kmpl respectively. Ciaz’s power and torque output are 103 BHP and 138 NM of torque
|Specifications||Honda City||Maruti Ciaz|
|Engine||1.5 L I-VTEC||1.5 L K15 Smart Hybrid|
|No. Of Cylinders||4||4|
|Power||119 BHP||103 BHP|
|Torque||145 NM||138 NM|
|Transmission||6 Speed MT / 7 Speed CVT||5 Speed MT / 4 Speed AT|
|Fuel Efficiency||17.8 kmpl / 18.4 kmpl||20.65 kmpl / 20.04 kmpl|
Petrol Engine Verdict
- Honda City I-VTEC is 16 BHP more powerful
- Also City petrol is 7 NM more torquier
- More number of gears are available in manual and automatic gearbox options of Honda City
- While Maruti Ciaz petrol manual is 2.85 kmpl and automatic is 1.6 kmpl more fuel efficient than Honda City
*Since the Maruti Ciaz doesnt have the option of Diesel engine in its lineup, so we have put into comparison with I-DTEC diesel unit of the City.
Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz – Which is more feature loaded?
|Features||Honda City||Maruti Ciaz|
|Interior Theme||Dual Tone||Dual Tone / Single Tone|
|Air Conditioner||Automatic + Rear AC Vents||Automatic + Rear AC Vents|
|Push Button Start with Keyless Entry||Yes||Yes|
|Connected Car Technology||Yes (32 features)||–|
|Rear Windscreen Sunshade||Yes||Yes|
|Outside door handles||Body Coloured||Chrome|
- Honda City offers LED headlamps while Ciaz has LED Projector headlights.
- Maruti Ciaz can be had with either all black or black and beige interior theme.
- Infotainment system size of Honda Ciaz is 8-inch which is bigger than that of Ciaz and also comes with first in segment, Amazon Alexa support.
- Honda City comes with Honda Connect, Electric Sunroof as well as Ambient lighting although Ciaz offers footwell illumination.
- Shared features are LED tail lamps, 16-inch alloys, leather seats, steering wheel, analog instrument panel, auto climate control and rear ac vents, push button start, rear window sunshade and cruise control.
Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz – Which has more safety equipment on offer?
|Safety Features||Honda City||Maruti Ciaz|
|No. of Airbags||6||2|
|Park Assist||Reverse Parking Camera||Reverse Parking Camera|
|Blind spot monitor||Yes||–|
|Hill Start Assist||Yes||Yes|
|Vehicle Stability Control||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Dimming IRVM||Yes||Yes|
|Rain Sensing Wipers||Yes||–|
|Anti pinch guard power window||All||Driver side only|
- Honda City has 6 airbags while the Ciaz has only 2.
- Honda City comes with best in class safety feature of Blind spot camera.
- Also City gets tyre pressure monitoring system which the Ciaz doesn’t get.
- Automatic rain sensing wipers is another safety features of Honda City which Maruti Ciaz misses out on.
- All power windows of City gets init pinch while that of Ciaz has the feature on the driver side window only.
- Other safety features which both the sedans comes with are HLA, ESP, Auto Dimming IRVM, Auto Headlamps.
Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz – Which has better Build Quality?
Honda City is build on ACE body structure with use of Ultra high strength steel and super high formability grade steel with which the the Japanese sedan has scored a perfect 5 star rating the ASEAN NCAP test conducted in March 2020.
Maruti Ciaz scored 4 stars in the ASEAN NCAP safety test. The India-spec Maruti Ciaz is built on the Suzuki’s TECT body structure with use of high tensile steel.
|Honda City||Maruti Ciaz|
|Platform||ACE Body Structure||Suzuki TECT|
|ASEAN NCAP||5 stars||4 stars|
Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz – Which is the top seller?
Honda City and Maruti Ciaz has been actively competing for the top spot in the class with sometime either of cars leading in the segment. Honda City average monthly sales of 2,500 units is slightly less than 2,700 unis of Maruti Ciaz
|Honda City||Maruti Ciaz|
|Sales (in units)||2,500||2,700|
Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz – Which offers better warranty package?
Honda City 2020 comes with 3 years unlimited kms warranty while the standard warranty package on the Maruti cars is 2 years and unto 40,000 kms which can be extended upto 5 years.
|Honda City||Maruti Ciaz|
|Warranty||3 years / unlimited kms||2 years / 40,000 kms|
Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz – Which is cheaper?
Maruti Ciaz is priced between Rs. 8.32 Lakhs and Rs. 11.1 Lakhs while the Honda City with petrol and Diesel engine options on offer is a slightly pricey choice compared to the former with the price expected to fall between Rs. 10 Lakhs and Rs. 16 Lakhs
|Honda City||Maruti Ciaz|
|Price (Ex Showroom)||10 Lakhs – 16 Lakhs||8.32 Lakhs – 11.1 Lakhs|
Why Honda City is better than Maruti Ciaz?
- Spacious & Premium Cabin – Not only the Honda City offers the most premium cabin but is also the most spacious as compared to its closest rivals as well.
- More Features – The updated Honda City has much more features as well as safety equipment to offer including 6 airbags, Ambient lighting, TPMS, Honda Connect and much more.
- Diesel engine – Maruti Ciaz has got its diesel mill discontinued while the Honda City sedan comes with 1.5-litre I-DTEC Diesel engine although with just manual transmission.
Why Maruti Ciaz is better buy over Honda City?
- Pricing – Maruti Suzuki India Limited have kept the Ciaz is a very competitive price territory as compared to its rivals and the starting price of the sedan undercuts the City by around Rs. 1.6 Lakhs.
- Fuel Efficiency – With the availability of SHVS technology, overall mileage figures have gone up with 2.85 kmpl Ciaz being more fuel efficient than Honda City’s petrol engine.