Tata Gravitas will be the next big launch by the carmakers in India. In this year only, Tata Motors have brought updated Tiago, Tigor, Nexon and Harrier as well as new Altroz hatchback and now Gravitas will be added to lineup to cover up the places left by discontinued SUVs.
What is Tata Gravitas?
Tata Gravitas is a 7-seater SUV which is based on the 5-seater Harrier and shares platform, interior, exterior design, features with the Harrier and take on the likes of MG Hector Plus and Mahindra XUV500.
Tata Gravitas Timeline
- March 5, 2019 – Tata Gravitas showcased in Buzzard concept at Geneva International Motor Show 2019
- February 5, 2020 – Tata Gravitas showcased at Auto Expo 2020
- September 2020 – Price and Launch announcement of Tata Gravitas in India
What are the dimensions of Tata Gravitas?
Tata Gravitas is 4,661 mm long, 1,894 mm wide and 1,786 mm tall. Wheelbase is 2,741 mm while the ground clearance is 200 mm. Tata Gravitas will ride on 18-inch alloy wheels.
[table id=46 /]
What does the Gravitas look like?
Front profile of the Gravitas looks quite similar to that of Harrier. But the Gravitas has a bigger headlamp unit and silver skid plates instead of black in Harrier. Alloy wheel design is derived from Harrier. Roof rails are available in Gravitas which the Harrier doesn’t come with.
To accommodate more headroom for the last row passengers, D-Pillar is not sloping like the harrier and the tailgate and rear windscreen are upright as well.
What about the interior of Gravitas?
Unlike the Harrier which uses dual tone black and brown theme, Gravitas will have black and light cream (light cream seats) environment to give a sense of airiness inside the cabin. Infotainment system, semi digital instrument panel and all other elements are carry forwarded from Harrier.
The difference in the interior of Harrier and Gravitas is the additional third row for seating more occupants and will also have folding function for second and third row. Gravitas will have captain seating (6-seater) as well as bench seating (7-seater) to offer.
What engine options will be there in Tata Gravitas?
Tata Motors will make the Gravitas available with both the engine options with multiple transmissions as well.
[table id=47 /]
- Tata Gravitas will be powered by 2.0 litre Diesel engine which belts out 168 BHP and 350 NM of torque. Like the Harrier, Gravitas will be made available with 6 Speed manual and 6 speed automatic by Tata Motors.
- Also there will be a new 1.5-litre turbo petrol engine which can be had with 6 speed manual as well as 7 speed DCT automatic gearbox. Power will be around 150 BHP while the torque figures are yet to be a revealed.
What features will Gravitas get?
Tata Gravitas will come bundled with the same features which the Harrier has to offer. Tata Gravitas is likely to get connected car technology which the Harrier misses out on. Top features of Tata Gravitas are:
- Semi digital instrument cluster
- 8.8-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- 9 Speaker JBL sound system
- Panoramic sunroof
- Electric adjustment for driver seat
- Automatic climate control
- Leather seat upholstery
- Push button start with keyless entry
- Xenon HID Projector Headlamps
- Cruise Control
- IRA connected car technology
What are the safety features of Tata Gravitas?
Along with the features, the safety equipment of Gravitas will also be borrowed from the 5-seater version. Some of the top safety features that the Gravitas has to offer includes:
- 6 airbags
- Hill start assist
- Traction control system
- All four disc brakes
- Vehicle stability management
- Auto dimming IRVM
- Rain sensing wipers
- Automatic headlamps
- ISOFIX child seat mount
- Rear parking camera
- Electric Parking brake
On which platform will Tata Gravitas be based?
Tata Gravitas will be underpinned by OMEGA architecture which also forms basis for the Tata Harrier. It is derived from Land Rover’s D8 structure which is jointly developed with Jaguar Land Rover and is ultra rigid and strong.
What will be the price of Tata Gravitas?
Tata Gravitas will be introduced at the same price segment as that of Harrier due to the availability of petrol engine which the latter misses out on. Although it will be priced 1 lakh premium over the Harrier, but the starting price of both the SUVs will be quite close.
Tata Gravitas is expected to be priced between Rs. 13.5 Lakhs for the base petrol variant and Rs. 21.3 Lakhs for the diesel automatic trim(Ex Showroom).
[table id=48 /]
When will Tata Motors India launch Gravitas SUV?
Although the launch of Tata Gravitas was confirmed for June 2020 after being showcased at art Auto Expo 2020 but due to coronavirus pandemic and nationwide lockdown, the launch has been now postponed to September 2020.
[table id=49 /]